Saturday, 08 September 2007

Proper 18C - Big Plans

 

I am one of those people who like to start things… I get big ideas - mammoth plans, dreams of fame and fortune - or sometimes just a tidy garden, study or kitchen.

I start things - but I’m not the best at finishing (although being married has meant that I finish things more often than I used to.)

When I was a bachelor I redid the kitchen in my flat… it took about a year before I put the doors on the cupboards… another year and I did the tiling.

I’m still on Chapter 1 of a book I started writing about 3 years ago… 

I have a whole pile of books on my shelves with bookmarks near the end of the last chapters… (not quite finished).

A wire land rover that I started making has become a contraption for keeping the dogs off the couch.

*  *  *

As I list these things so honestly in front of you - I know that I’m probably in good company… each of us probably has something which we have begun, but haven’t completed…

*  *  *

In the gospel passage for today Jesus uses difficult words, words about finishing what we start when we choose to follow him.

When I read the passage I started looking for some other passage to preach on… this one is quite difficult…

*  *  *

The gospel writer writes (reading from the Message paraphrase Luke 14:25-27):

One day when large groups of people were walking along with him, Jesus turned and told them, “Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one’s own self!—can’t be my disciple. Anyone who won’t shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can’t be my disciple.

What Jesus is saying seems to contradict what the rest of scripture tells us (some people have used this passage to justify the neglect of their families for the sake of the gospel).

But I don’t think that Jesus is saying that family is unimportant… rather it seems he is pointing out a consequence of what might happen when people follow him…

*  *  *

The passage starts by telling us that ;large crowds were following Jesus… the message which he preaches has gained a fair amount of popularity - I imagine that people are raring to go as they imagine a world that lives the way Jesus speaks about it…

He just told the rich to invite the poor to dinner without expecting anything in return!  (Take a moment to imagine a world like that!)

If you were poor you would follow this guy - an easy road to comfortable living.  (Those among us who are rich (that would be most of us) start to feel a bit uncomfortable at this challenge.)

*  *  *

Jesus paints a picture of God that is much better than any they have heard of before:  God forgives sins quite gracefully without demanding large down payments.  God heals people (no matter what social class they come from), God loves even those who are rejected by all of society as unlovable.

The Message rings true - its wonderful news - Good news.  But they haven’t begun to count the cost of what it will really mean when it’s put into action…

*  *  *

Luke, writing this gospel late in the first century - some years after Jesus’ life and teaching, has begun to see first hand something of all the trouble that Jesus foresaw when people started following him and doing what he called them to do.

Jesus teaching challenged the way things were in the world of his day.  Following Jesus in Roman colonies meant to challenge the accepted state religion which demanded absolute allegiance to Caesar - people had to make sacrifices and declare unwavering obedience to Caesar - proclaiming him as their Lord. 

If children who became Christians refused to do such things their Parents would have rejected them because they refused to participate in the family religion.  On the other hand Children would have rejected their parents.

Separation from one’s family in those days - when there was no such thing as an old age pension or any system of social security at all would have meant for those rejected by their families that they would probably plunge into poverty, losing all claim to their family land or inheritance.

Jesus teaching foresees this kind of division and he tells his followers that if they really want to follow him, they better be prepared for those sort of consequences.

He warns that if you’re not willing to give up what’s nearest and dearest (even your monetary wealth) then being his disciple won’t work.

*  *  *

In these verses Jesus doesn’t call Christians to reject their families (to hate them as some translations suggest). 

The lesson of Jesus life rather tells us that Christians are not called to reject or hate anyone - no matter how much we might want to or feel justified in so doing. 

Jesus calls his followers to be prepared for the fact that their families might give up on them because of the values which he calls them to hold, values which include accepting and loving the outcast and undesirable (an action which might result in your becoming an outcast and an undesirable yourself).  Values which demand allegiance to Jesus - before our allegiance to the world and to Caesar.

*  *  *

Then Jesus says another thing that is difficult… if you’re not willing to take up your cross and follow me - then you can not be my disciple… A saying which we make so silly; you know when we’re slightly inconvenienced by our religion, our duties, our children, friends or health we feel sorry for ourselves and say: “It’s just a cross I have to bear…”

*  *  *

When Jesus refers to taking up your cross he doesn’t refer so much to the pain of crucifixion (the pain comes rather when the cross takes you up) - but rather he refers to the part of the crucifixion ceremony in which the convicted criminal carries their cross beam through the streets.

The shame of being counted among the outcasts and the sinners as you march through the streets with this sign of allegiance on your back.  A sign of allegiance that points you out to the people as a heretic and blasphemer, considered to be rejected even by God.

*  *  *

Having warned people about the rejection they may face because they follow him… Jesus tells two parables, parables that ask:

Would you start building a house without first figuring out if you can finish it?

Would you go into a battle if you knew you were going to lose?

And Jesus warns the whole crowd that if they’re not willing to go the whole way - then they shouldn’t bother following him… they should quit now rather than later.

*  *  *

Jesus preaches a difficult message, a message that I would rather not preach.

A message that confuses me as in one ear I hear Jesus call to me to: “Go and make disciples of all nations…” (Matthew 28:19) and hear Jesus discouraging words from the passage we read today in my other ear about the cost of becoming a disciple.

*  *  *

And so I offer you this honest question:  Would you really like to be a disciple of Jesus, it’s not actually going to be that easy?

And instead of trying to convert you I’ll try to discourage you, and invite us to a new honesty with one another as we try to work out how to follow Jesus faithfully and we say to each other - I’m not quite getting it right yet, but with your help I’ll do a bit better…  Even (as they say) with our warts and all.

*  *  *

The good news is that even though Jesus is quite difficult to follow, God is gracious.  God gives us the gift of this community here through which we can do some of the things that he calls us to do as we work together in partnership…

Together we can strengthen each other by praying with each other.  We can encourage one another by talking honestly about our doubts and our fears and we can grow up into people who are willing to make the sacrifices which God calls us to make when we follow him faithfully.

Then I believe - when we help each other to bear the cost of being disciples together we will begin to finish what we started and we will start to see the Kingdom of God in this place.

No comments: